When it comes to working on your home’s electrical system, safety should always be a top priority. DIY, or “do-it-yourself,” electrical work may seem convenient and cost-effective, but the risks that come with it — including the potential for injury or even death — are far too great to be worthwhile. Let’s explore some of the dangers of doing your own electrical work and why you should be calling an electrician rather than trying to handle that electrical burning smell yourself.
Hazards, Hazards Everywhere
To state what may seem obvious, electricity can be incredibly dangerous if not handled properly. Electrical components are designed to transport electricity safely through your home; however, if you don’t know the job of each component, you could be injured or even killed since electricity carries a strong current that can cause powerful shocks or electrocution if mishandled. Additionally, improper installation can lead to short circuits, exposed electrical wires, house fires, explosions, and other serious repercussions. Even if the installation goes smoothly, you’ll never truly know if you made existing electrical problems worse with your work.
One of the most common mistakes made by those attempting DIY electrical work is not shutting off the power at its source before beginning the job. Even when attempting a seemingly simple task such as changing an outlet or light switch, forgetting this crucial step can have dire consequences, such as shocks or electrocution due to contact with live wires.
In addition to the many obvious dangers at play when you attempt DIY electrical projects, there are many other ways you can wind up harming yourself or others with small mistakes. Many people performing DIY electrical repairs end up making mistakes that can be equally hazardous when it comes to their electrical wiring needs.
A few small but significant mistakes that people often make when doing electric work include, but aren’t limited to:
- Forgetting to cover open junction boxes after installing new outlets or switches so curious children or pets cannot access them.
- Not connecting lights and appliances safely.
- Attempting repairs with old or faulty wiring.
- Creating splices that are not encased in “splice boxes” that prevent exposed wire connections (unenclosed splices are likely to start an electrical fire).
Professional Expertise Required
Another reason DIY is unwise is that many homeowners simply don’t have the education for the task. First and foremost, becoming an electrical contractor requires specific certifications. Certain types of wiring, such as aluminum, require specific tools and connections that are difficult for most do-it-yourselfers to obtain without licenses from their local municipalities first. Lastly, and most importantly, many projects require special tools and knowledge which only licensed electricians possess.
Call EP Electric LLC Anytime
If you’re looking to save money by doing your own electrical work around the house, think again and pick a new DIY project. Electrical issues are complex enough that basic knowledge isn’t always enough, and mistakes can potentially cause severe injuries, household fire hazards, and even death. So next time your circuit breaker box or electrical circuits are acting up, don’t hesitate to call the professional electricians at EP Electric LLC. You’ll rest easy knowing you’re doing yourself (and your home) a favor!
Whether you need a quick professional electrical inspection or a 24-hour emergency electrician, we’ve got your back. Our team of fully licensed and insured electricians is ready to tackle any job, no matter how challenging. Book service now, and we’ll be there soon!